For anyone who hasn’t already found this at some point, via Google, Stephen Follows runs a fine website full of industry research that answers many questions that you have, and a few you didn’t know you have.
Here are some samples…
- Which film jobs have the greatest overlap?
- Which film departments are the most isolated?
- Which are the largest departments on a movie set?
- How has the average Hollywood movie crew changed?
- What percentage of UK film crew are female?
- Do more film crew members work on-set or in post-production?
- How many Assistant Directors work on UK and US movies?
- Which film jobs are increasing and which are decreasing?
- How does the use of the terms ‘cinematographer’ and ‘director of photography’ differ?
- How many editors does it take to edit a movie?
- Studying race in the UK film industry
- How many people does it take to make a film in the UK?
- What needs to change in the UK film industry (this is a 2016 article that is worth a look, though things have moved on a bit, post-pandemic….)